You thought 2020 was tough? Imagine being diagnosed with MND the day before Victorian lockdowns began in March. That’s exactly what faced Lance.
Please take a few minutes to read Lance and Cecile’s story and please give generously to our 2020 Christmas Appeal. We understand it has been a tough year for many.
If you are in a position to contribute, your gift of a virtual Australian themed Christmas decoration to be placed on our Christmas gumtree can provide much needed support for Victorian's living with MND, just like Lance.
A $50 donation could purchase a bed stick; a $100 donation could purchase a ramp; a $500 donation could purchase a bedside commode or your donation may be bundled with others to purchase an electronic power wheelchair.
Click the donate button to begin placing your decoration on our virtual Christmas gumtree.
Lance and Cecile’s Inspiring Story
Cecile was born completely blind and the couple have an extraordinary passion for life and “just getting on with it”. The day Lance was diagnosed with MND, their lives were flipped upside down.
MND is terminal, there is no remission and the average time from diagnosis to death is 2.5 years.
The couple moved to Geelong after working tirelessly for 8 years in Philip Island as Remedial Massage Therapists. They moved so Lance could spend time with his first grandchild.
They had plans to bring their passion and skills in remedial massage to Geelong and volunteer in the local hospital and with people who have vision impairments.
These plans were destroyed the moment Lance was told he has MND. Lance went from caring for Cecile to needing to be cared for. Fortunately, Lance and Cecile know how to overcome adversity and embrace a positive attitude. Their support for one another needs to be seen to be believed.
The support provided by MND Victoria has been unbelievable from day one and allowed us to live our lives with confidence knowing a huge team of people have our backs and we will receive any support and equipment aid that we need at any time"
Unfortunately, as Lance’s disease progresses, the care needed will be too much for Cecile. With your help we can at least make a difference to their quality of life during disease progression. We can support them through our MND Advisory service, Information service and access to the large inventory of assistive technology devices that enable people with MND to live as independently as possible for as long as possible. Only 30% of the funds needed to deliver this support is provided through government funding. The other 70% must be raised from a variety of fundraising activities.
MND Victoria were there for Lance and Cecile right from the beginning and we will be there everyday right to the end. On top of the tragedy of being diagnosed with MND, Lance is over 65 years of age and therefore doesn’t have access to the NDIS. Any support from the Aged Care system is simply not enough. MND Victoria’s vital services are not discriminatory to age and are delivered at no cost to Lance and will enable him to live as well as possible for as long as possible. These services include our MND Advisory service, Information service and access to the large inventory of assistive technology devices that enable all 440 people currently living with MND to stay safe, independent and engaged with their community for as long as possible.
Just like all Victorians, Lance and Cecile are very excited for Christmas this year. After enduring lockdown for the entire time Lance has been diagnosed with MND, this Christmas will be a special and joyous occasion where they can finally see so many friends and family they have missed all year. It will also be quite bittersweet as MND has robbed Lance of so much in the past 9 months.
Lance and Cecile wanted us to share their story as they know how important it is to raise awareness and funds for other families going through MND now and in the future.
Please take a few minutes to read Lance and Cecile’s story and please give generously to our 2020 Christmas Appeal. We understand it has been a tough year for many. If you are in a position to contribute, your support will mean a great deal to every Victorian living with MND, just like Lance.